A Drum Machine and a Synthesizer with effects, parameter locks, and a built in speaker in a pocket sized package.
Drum Machine and Percussion Synth
The PO-32 comes jam packed with 16 distinct sounds that you can program into some nifty little beats not sure how many Pocket Operator devices Teenage Engineering has made but there are many of them, this one seems to focus on being a drum synth rather than a sampler or other type of device.
All of the TeenageEngineering Pocket Operator (PO) devices have a Jam Sync feature that lets you connect any Pocket Operator devices together through the 1/8th inch output and sync the audio and timing of the devices so they can jam together. This allows you to build a beat making rig in a custom way by placing the devices in the order and number of devices you want. You could for instance use the PO-32 drum synth in combination with a sampler, voice synth, and another drum machine all in line and synced up, What would really be interesting is to set them all up in some sort of case just how you would like it set up.
For the pocket sized price the PO-32 really delivers some high quality sounds. The sixteen drum sounds come from Cirrus Logic DAC , Gecko MCU, as well as Silicon Labs EFM 32.
- kick 1 – (bass drum)
- snare 1 – ( typical snare drum)
- shaker / zap – (a percussion sound that often goes nicely next to a hi hat)
- lfo effect – (sound effect drum sound)
- kick 2 – (additional bass drum)
- snare 2 – (additional snare drum)
- close / open hi-hat – (gotta have the hi hat)
- claves / cowbell – (needs more cowbell)
- low tom / kick 3 – (a tom drum that can double as a bass drum)
- rimshot – (the sound of a rim of the drum being hit by a stick)
- tambourine / crash – (can be a crash symbol or a shaker like sound)
- hand clap – (clap your hands!)
- bass – (get a simple bass line going)
- fm snare – (tight synthesized snare sound)
- cymbal – (get a ride cymbal sound)
- high tom – ( high pitched tom drum)
16 Step Sequencer
For such a small and inexpensive drum machine the 16 step sequencer is quite capable and useful giving you parameter locks, punch in and out effects sequencing. With these features you can create powerful complex beats that sound like they were created on professional drum machines and sequencers.
Breakaway lock tab
Have you ever spent hours creating the perfect sequence, beat or music track and later returned to your drum machine to find that your pattern is gone? This can be a devastating experience. The breakaway locking tab feature on the Teenage Engineering PO-32 Tonic protects your data from being wiped out.
The PO-32 gives you a lice little set of effects you can use to shape the sounds of your beat, even some expensive drum machines of the past did not include a couple of the effects the PO-32 gives you.
2. distortion (get a gritty crunchy sounds )
3. squash (smoosh the sounds)
4. echo fade (an echo that decays the sounds)
5. pitch lfo (a moving pitch as the sounds plays)
6. eq sweep (a filter like sound using an equalizer sweep)
7. mega morph (just what it says, morphs the sounds)
8. pitch bend up (changes the pitch to higher as it plays)
9. punch (make it punchy!)
10. 6/8 quantize (get an off time, staggered quantizeation )
11. beat-repeat (a loop style echo that gives you a repeated beat)
12. beat-repeat faster (same as above but faster)
13. fm (get FM style synthesizer sound)
14. granular (grainy stretch sound)
15. reverse (reverse the sample)
16. bouncing ball (just try it.)